Students and teachers from Kerala University's law department knocked on Attorney General KK Venugopal's door after exhausted all other possibilities. Their plea for assistance in purchasing a reference book may appear insignificant at first, but only until the price is determined. The price of Chisum on Patents, which is considered the Bible of Patent law, is for $15,894. (Rs 12 lakh).
The much-desired 54-volume book had always been too expensive for the department, which receives barely Rs 4 lakh in annual library book grants. Department head Sindhu Thulaseedharan got a letter from Attorney General Venugopal a few days ago, saying he had decided to purchase the book and 'gift' it to them, much to the delight of the students and teachers.
“With reference to your request, the purchase order for the same has been placed,” he wrote.
“We don’t know how to thank him. It’s a great gesture that touched our hearts,”- said by Sindhu Thulaseedharan.
“The price has always been a deterrent, but we wanted it as our students are keen to pursue interdisciplinary studies in emerging areas such as intellectual property rights and patent disputes. We had initiated communication with corporate law firms to check the possibility of getting assistance under CSR scheme. It was on March 3 that I wrote to Venugopal sir asking whether he would be able to help us,” she said.
Venugopal, who was born in Kanhangad, had wanted to establish a law school in Kerala in remembrance of his father, MK Nambiar, who passed away a few years ago. The plan, however, was rejected by the state administration. It turned out to be a blessing for Bengaluru's National University Law School, which eventually established the MK Nambiar Chair of Constitutional Law.
Chisum on Patents released in 1978, is the most cited patent treatise with citations in over 1170 US cases, including 14 US Supreme Court decisions.
Chisum on Patents has every legal detail you need to secure and protect a patent claim.
- Donald S. Chisum's 53-volume masterwork gives you authoritative analysis of all issues pertaining to patent law, including doctrines, rules and case law relating to patentability, validity and infringement. Whether you're applying for a patent, appealing a patent application denial or litigating patent infringement, Chisum on Patents puts authority on your side.
- Chisum on Patents is also the most cited patents treatise in law today - cited more than 1000 times by the U.S. federal courts and twice as much as the nearest competitor since it was released in October 1978.
- Chisum on Patents now includes analysis of the America Invents Act of 2011 and provides cross-references to related sections/chapters within the treaty for quick and easy research. One-stop research saves you time and money and gives you the information you need to answer questions on every topic in patent law
- • What constitutes a patentable invention
• Fundamental requirements of patentability -- originality, novelty, utility and non-obviousness
• Perfecting rights to a patentable invention
• Rules regarding disclosure and submitting claims
• Double patenting
• Rules in priority of invention
• Patent application process -- from filing through examination and appeals
• Restriction requirements and divisional applications
• Continuation applications
• Requirements for obtaining the benefit of a prior patent filing in a foreign country
• Applications for reissue
• Substantive aspects of infringement
- Chisum on Patents also helps you draft patent claims quickly and confidently, and saves you time with over 300 pages of guidance on how best to draft patent claims -- including a detailed explanation of patent claim interpretation. Updated five times a year, no other treatise on patent law keeps you as current.
- Chisum on Patents provides clarifying analysis of the most important recent decisions and how they may affect your claims, with abstracts of all published decisions of the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit in a topically arranged outline.
"For over 25 years, I have relied on Prof. Chisum's treatise as THE essential tool for answering every conceivable patent law question. I have been repeatedly amazed by both the range and the depth of the subject matter contained in his work. No matter how arcane the patent law question, Prof. Chisum provides the answer. Frankly, could not do my job without the benefit of his books, both the main volumes and his amazing Federal Circuit Guide."
 -- Jill D. Singer, Hovey Williams, LLP